DFP and Facebook Header

In Memoriam | Bobby Wishart

December 3, 2020 8:54 pm Author: Red Matchday Team
In Memoriam | Bobby Wishart


It is with immense sadness that the club have today learned of the passing of Bobby Wishart.

We believe that Bobby was the last surviving member of our 1955 title winning side, the first time the Dons had won the League Championship. In total he played 235 times for Aberdeen, include 29 appearances during the 1954-55 season. He also scored on 62 occasions. Bobby went on to win the League with Dundee in 1962, becoming one of the only players to lift the Championship with two different clubs other than Rangers and Celtic.

Bobby took part in AFC’s century celebrations in 2003, attending a number of the special events put on by the club. In more recent years he was also a guest at Pittodrie on a number of occasions but suffered from motor neurone disease latterly.

Our thoughts are with Bobby’s family.

Rest in Peace.

Aberdeen FC Heritage Trust | Bobby Wishart factfile click here

Bobby scoring against Rangers at Pittodrie in 1955

RedTV | Bobby spoke about his wonderful career in an extensive interview on RedTV a number of years ago. To watch please click here

Bobby Wishart | His Career

A certain pub question that would have many stumped; “Who was the former Don who won two Scottish League championship winners medals with two different clubs; both outside Celtic and Rangers?”

Bob Wishart was the stylish inside forward with Aberdeen that helped win the Dons first title in 1955. After leaving Pittodrie in 1960 when many thought his best days were behind him, Wishart went on to play a key role in Dundee’s championship success in 1961/62. Not only that but former Aberdeen manager Craig Brown was an aspiring young inside forward with the Dens Park club back then and it was the experienced Wishart who kept young Craig out of the first team.

Bob Wishart was born on 10th March 1933, a product of the rugby-playing George Heriot’s school in Edinburgh, he signed for Aberdeen from Merchiston Thistle in 1952. After making his debut for the Dons in December of that year, Bob went on to replace the popular Joe O’Neil in the Aberdeen side of 1954. A vital part of the Aberdeen side, Wishart was the architect of many a fine move and his passing ability and work rate were his strengths. In 1955 after he helped Aberdeen to the title it was Wishart’s sensational goal against Rangers in the semi final of the League Cup that helped Aberdeen to another piece of silverware as they went on to defeat St Mirren in the final. Although a senior cap was to evade him, Bob Wishart played for Scotland U-23’s as well as the Scottish League. After 236 appearances and 62 goals for the Dons Wishart joined Dundee in 1961 for a £3,500 fee. It was as a wing half that Wishart reverted to at Dens and he played a vital part in Dundee just edging out Rangers for the 1962 league title. Bob also distinguished himself in the European Cup the following season as Dundee reached the semi finals.

He ended his career with Airdrie and Raith, and while still playing was taken under the wing of then Hearts chairman Bill Lindsay, succeeding him as secretary of the National Farming Union Scotland. He later joined the Britannia Building Society as its Edinburgh manager, a post he held until retiring in 1993. He was a guest at the century dinners in 2003 and also a regular visitor to Pittodrie until quite recently.

Bobby Wishart, Davie Shaw, Harry Yorston and Hughie Hay at Hampden in 1954

Bobby Wishart | Tribute

“It was with great sadness that I learned of the passing of Bob Wishart. The former Don was from an era long since gone but never forgotten. Bob was an integral part of that great Aberdeen side that won the clubs first ever League Championship in 1955.

“I was fortunate to contact Bob back in 2002 when I met him on several occasions to assist with my research for the Aberdeen Champions of Scotland book that I was putting together. As we chatted for hours pouring over the press cuttings, photos and archive of the time, Bob brought these to life with some fantastic memories and anecdotes.

“Bob provided me with invaluable information and put me in touch with some of his former teammates. It culminated with a visit to Pittodrie on 12th April 2003 as Bob helped me to assemble eight of the team that won the title in 1955. In what was an emotional reunion as they recalled their footballing days together.

“As a player Bob wore the Aberdeen shirt with pride. Thanks for the memories Bob; a true Aberdeen FC legend.

Kevin Stirling, Red Matchday Historical Editor.

Bobby Wishart | Champions for the first time – a look back at the 1954/55 season

The most remarkable factor in the Dons first ever League title success in 1955 was that there were no new additions to the playing staff in the summer of 1954. Although Aberdeen had finished in 9th position in 1953.54 their league placing was not as bad as it seemed. Had Aberdeen won their final game of the season at Easter Road they would have climbed to third place, such was the parity in the league at that time. What was in their favour in the 50’s was the fact that there were no clear favourites before the season started. Certainly Rangers would be there, but the challenge from both Hibernian and Hearts was also a realistic one. Both Hibernian and Rangers shared the championships in the early 50’s before Celtic broke the mould on 1954. All of the big city clubs could command crowds in excess of 40,000, and with clubs paying their players more than they could earn in England, it was more of a level playing field. Whether Aberdeen could breach the top four remained to be seen, but history tells us that no less than seven different clubs won the title between 1947-1965. It was a window of opportunity in Scottish football that had never been seen before or since.

It would never happen these days but the Dons side had a settled look about it and barring injury or a desperate loss of form, then that would be the selected eleven Dons hopes were pinned on. What was significant was the fact that Aberdeen had good cover in every position. It was a first team in the true sense—if any player was missing then the reserve would slot in and be expected to carry out a similar role. Each player was aware of what was expected—on one occasion after Fred Martin came back from the World Cup in 1954 he tried throwing the ball out to his full backs. This was met with howls of derision from the Pittodrie crowd. Keepers kicked the ball as far and as high up the field as they could. That was just the way it was. Supporters were never receptive to change. Scotland had been hammered by Uruguay in the World Cup and lessons were learned all round, unfortunately the message was not getting through to the terraces.

There was an almost relaxed approach by the club in those days. Certainly there was never the intensity that surrounds the game these days with television and the media ever demanding. Training would be taken by Dave Shaw in the mornings and it was Shaw’s afternoon sessions that created a real positive bonding between the players as first team and reserve players alike joined in for those extra sessions. Manager Dave Halliday was rarely seen at the ground—perhaps on a Tuesday for the weekly meeting he may have popped his head in to the pitch to see the players training. The only other occasion Halliday would be at the ground would be on a match day. All other business was conducted away from Pittodrie and Dave Shaw was responsible for looking after the players on a daily basis. Halliday’s role was far removed form what present boss Jimmy Calderwood does these days. Halliday was more of an administrator as much as anything else and he would also personally scour the country for new talent as the only scouting network you would find in those days would be in a school hut.

Travelling to games was as long as any other club and the long hours spent away also helped build team spirit. The club always went to games by first class rail travel. If they were down in Glasgow then the journey would be made on the Friday night with a top class hotel booked and a possible theatre visit. What many will find hard to believe was the fact that Aberdeen first team players were the highest paid in Britain at one point. In England a wage ceiling was in force and the top Scottish clubs set their wage structure slightly higher with a view to keep their top players in Scotland. Aberdeen first team players were on about £18 per week with the reserves picking up £14. There was also the bonus of £2 for a win. Only Rangers could come close to matching that amounts. There was also a loyalty payment made by the club with £750 coming each player’s way after five years service with Aberdeen. National Service had also to be taken in to account as players were often away doing their duty in the prime of their footballing careers.

There were few indications at the start of season 1954.55 that Aberdeen would be genuine challengers for the championship. The League Cup campaign was riddled with inconsistency—an opening 4-0 win over Queen of the South was tempered by a three-goal defeat in Dumfries. Perhaps it was the Dons taking to the air for the first time for a domestic game that unsettled the team. The squad flew from Dyce to Prestwick and took the coach for the final part of their journey. For whatever reason the idea was ditched—perhaps the precarious flight back to Aberdeen had something to do with it as one of the engines caught fire on descent to Dyce airport!

While the manager made some changes to the side the opening league game at home to Stirling Albion gave the Dons a real chance to get off to a flyer. The previous games against Stirling at Pittodrie had resulted in 8 and 6 goal wins for the Dons and on this occasion they hit a hapless Albion for five with big Joe O’Neil scoring twice. A week later another late O’Neil goal helped Aberdeen to 2-0 win at Dens Park before a crowd in excess of 27,000. While it was premature to talk of a challenge at that point the Dons maintained their 100% start when they crushed Hibernian 3-1 at Pittodrie. Fortune may have smiled on the Dons that day as it was late goals again that gave them victory but only after Hibernian had to play the second half with ten men following Buchanan’s unfortunate leg break.

A week later Aberdeen went clear at the top after four games when they won 3-1 at Motherwell—the Fir Park clubs first defeat. That set up the visit of second place Celtic. Even at that early stage the outcome would perhaps have a huge bearing on the title. A huge 38,000 crowd gathered at Pittodrie for what was sure to be a real test for Aberdeen—Celtic were reigning champions and were favourites to retain their title. In what was the Dons only home defeat all season two second half goals gave the Parkhead side victory. It was a tough, bruising game—Harry Yorston resumed in the second half with his head bandaged after getting three stitches in a head wound. Celtic were desperate to stop Aberdeen at all costs even when Stein hauled Buckley back by ripping his shorts off. Aberdeen were toppled from the top for the first and only time after this result. The Dons responded in magnificent fashion in their next outing; hitting St Mirren for four at Paisley. The side was under pressure and was depleted by the loss of Fred Martin with flu while Yorston and Buckley were playing for Scotland in Cardiff. However with Celtic dropping a point against Queen of the South it was the Dons who returned to the top on goal average.

Archie Glen scores the crucial penalty at Shawfield

East Fife may have been regarded as a top side in Scotland at that time but the Bayview side held few fears for the Dons as they crushed the Fifers 4-1 at Pittodrie. Despite losing their 100% away record when they went down in quagmire conditions against Partick Thistle at Firhill, that defeat only increased the doubters as to Aberdeen title credentials.

As the winter took a grip on the country Aberdeen marched on regardless and seemed to have rid themselves of inconsistency that had blighted previous attempts. Queen of the South (2-0), Raith Rovers (2-1), Hearts (1-0), Falkirk (1-0) and Kilmarnock (4-0) were all put to the sword before the Dons came unstuck in the mud of Ibrox in a 3-1 defeat on 11th December. That defeat only heightened the doubts—the press in the south cast a dark shadow over the Dons title challenge but the fact was that the Dons were still clear leaders. It was criticism like that, which only galvanized the Dons who felt they had to prove something in each passing game. Whether or not this had a positive effect is not clear, but following the Ibrox defeat Aberdeen embarked on a sequence of wins that was to ultimately win the championship.

By the end of February the Dons dropped only one point from eight games and that broke the resistance of Rangers and Hibernian who were now well off the pace. Only Celtic and Hearts could catch the leaders. In the middle of that spell was a crucial 1-0 win at Easter Road on 3rd January. Paddy Buckley scored the only goal of the game when he totally deceived Hibs centre half Plenderleith. The wily Buckley dummied the ball straight from a Fred Martin clearance and ran fully 30 yards before clipping the ball past Younger. It was a vital win that stretched the Dons lead to six points at the turn of the year.

The only blot on the Dons copybook was a 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle in March. This defeat came after two grueling Scottish Cup ties against Hearts. The Dons midweek replay at Pittodrie had been a controversial affair with goals from Buckley and Yorston taking Aberdeen through to the semi finals. A massive crowd of 41,000 was at Pittodrie for that one. Perhaps Hearts were looking for revenge in the league game as Aberdeen had effectively ended their season with the cup win. Hearts surprised many by coming to Pittodrie and defended in depth—no doubt mindful of their 3-0 drubbing in the same competition a year earlier. This did not go down well with the crowd and Hearts robust approach also infuriated the Dons support. When the dust had settled after the three meetings in seven days it was Aberdeen who emerged the happier as the league defeat only delayed the Dons championship push.

The decisive day came at Pittodrie on the 2nd April when Rangers travelled north. Aberdeen were without Fred Martin who was about to shed seven goals for Scotland at Wembley. For once Rangers were at full strength with no Ibrox players with the national team. Paddy Buckley had been in superb form and it was his hat trick that helped eclipse Rangers before a joyous Aberdeen crowd. Graham Leggat hit a late fourth goal for the Dons and the rout was complete. The good news continued when it emerged that Celtic had lost at home to Hibernian. The title was won that day in eyes of the support but although now within touching distance, there was still some work to do.

All attention now turned to Shawfield and the trip to Clyde on the 9th April. The Aberdeen objective was clear—three points from their final three games would take the title. A win over Clyde would put Celtic out of the running whatever they did and if Hearts did not win at Ibrox that same day then Aberdeen would be champions. The Hearts challenge was disappearing in each passing game. They would have to win their last six games and win them with a lot to spare to catch Aberdeen on goal average. It was a long shot at best, but still mathematically possible. Celtic were the main challengers. If Aberdeen lost at Clyde then the following week the Dons were due at Parkhead for what many had hoped would be a title decider. That was the last thing that Aberdeen wanted so the Clyde game was a massive one for the club.

To add spice to the occasion it was Clyde who ended the Dons cup interest only days previously when then beat the Dons 1-0 in a replay of their semi final. While the Dons failed to rise to the occasion in that one the focus was now on two precious points at Shawfield. The Clyde ground was not typical of others in that the stadium had a huge running track around the perimeter, which hosted regular dog racing. The massive scoreboard at one end restricted access to the crowd who were so far away from the action. The almost eerie like atmosphere did not help the Dons. Clyde were enjoying the most successful period in their history and boasted three Scottish internationals in their side. They also had former Aberdeen manager Pat Travers in charge and he knew enough about the Dons to know that his team could cause them problems. Aberdeen were also badly hit with injury as both Paddy Buckley and Jackie Allister were ruled out.

There was no doubt that Aberdeen players were nervous—they knew what was at stake. The game reflected that apprehension—fragmented and littered with errors. The game was settled in the 13th minute when Aberdeen gained a penalty. Graham Leggat’s deep corner found George Hamilton at the back post. His header was then cleared off the line as keeper Hewkins came for it and missed. The ball bounced up invitingly for Bob Wishart whose header looked net-bound. It was then that Clyde defender Murphy punched the ball clear. A penalty for the Dons! Both Archie Glen and Jackie Allister used to take alternate penalties but Glen had no doubt suffered a crisis of confidence as he had missed his last two efforts. Allister had then taken on the responsibility but with Jackie not in the side that day it fell on Glen’s shoulders.

Glen had done his homework though and noticed that South African keeper Hewkins was weak on his left side. Glen opted to hit it hard to Hewkins left hand post the ball flew in to the top corner and Aberdeen had the vital lead. It was an advantage they would hold on to despite some nervy moments. Jimmy Mitchell & Co defended in depth towards the end of the match and held out. For George Hamilton, playing in his last ever game, it was fitting end to a glorious career. When news came through that Hearts had lost at Ibrox the Dons were now Champions, for the first ever time.

Bobby Wishart | His achievements

It is well enough documented that Aberdeen did take their bow in European football in 1967 against Icelandic side KR Reykjavik. That 10-0 win was a memorable beginning on what has become an incredible European adventure for the club.

It could have been very different had that great side from 1955 been allowed to enter the first ever European Cup competition. Of course the European Cup was very much in its’ infancy and the new concept was not met with widespread appeal and was effectively open to manipulate as there was no set criteria set down for the first year of competition. It was not until 1956 that the respective league champions of all European countries were invited to compete in the following season’s competition.

As it was the initial cup competition in 1955.56 was open to a selection process by any country to put a team forward. Despite Aberdeen being league champions in 1955, the SFA under the guidance of President Harry Swan put Hibernian forward to represent Scotland.

Swan was also chairman of Hibernian and the decision reflected badly on the authorities as Aberdeen were treated poorly in the whole affair. Hibernian were eventually outclassed by Stade Rheims in the semi-final who in turn came up against that wonderful Real Madrid side who made the formative years of the European Champions Cup very much their own.

It can only be imagined how well Aberdeen would have fared in that first competition had they been allowed to represent their country as champions. Back then Hibernian were a side that had lots of flair and they were keen exponents of a passing game that would have perhaps been suited for European football. However the Aberdeen side back then was as tough as the city’s granite and the methodical and tactical approach by manager Dave Halliday and trainer Dave Shaw made them one of the most complete teams in British football.

Pittodrie was a virtual fortress and away from home goals were hard to come by playing against Aberdeen. As a marker, Aberdeen made it quite clear who should be flying the flag for Scotland in Europe in 1955 when Hibernian came north in the opening game of the league season. On 10th September the Dons hammered Hibernian 6-2. Earlier in the League Cup sections the Dons won 1-0 at Easter Road and 2-1 at Pittodrie to complete an early double over their rivals. Even in the return league game the Dons defeated Hibernian 3-1 in Edinburgh in January 1956 to hammer home their superiority. It can only be imagined what that Aberdeen side could have achieved in the European Cup had they been given the opportunity.

Martin, McCaig, Wishart, Hather, Yorston in 1956

While Aberdeen were celebrating their first championship it was also the first time that Chelsea won the English title. At that time the Stamford Bridge club were by no means one of the top clubs down south but they took the English championship in style back in 1955.

Led by captain and top scorer Roy Bentley, the big forward was Chelsea’s answer to Aberdeen legend George Hamilton. Bentley was a prolific scorer and a majestic header of the ball in his day. Not unlike Aberdeen, the Chelsea side of 1955 was a relatively ageing one, built on a shoestring by Ted Drake. The similarity to what Aberdeen faced was mirrored by Chelsea’s plight with the FA. It was the English authorities that steadfastly refused Chelsea to enter the first ever European Cup competition, a decision which by today’s standards seems absurd, but back then the new competition was met with scepticism by many.

As it turned out that great Chelsea side began to break up and they were never allowed the opportunity to grace the European stage. Both Aberdeen and Chelsea had to content themselves with a ‘Championship of Britain’ clash at Pittodrie in September 1955. It was on the traditional Aberdeen holiday and the game attracted a lot of interest as the best sides on both sides of the border locked horns. It was Aberdeen that emerged victorious in a fantastic 4-3 win as the Dons own Paddy Buckley outshone the talented Bentley with a hat trick.

On reflection it was small comfort to both sides who really should have been battling it out on foreign fields for the first time in serious competition. The irony of both league wins was repeated some years later. In 1967 both Aberdeen and Chelsea were runners up in the respective FA Cup finals, the Dons losing to Celtic while Chelsea went down to Tottenham. Three years later both Aberdeen and Chelsea won the Scottish and FA Cups. The Dons defeated Celtic 3-1 while Chelsea saw off Leeds after a replay at Old Trafford. Even away back in 1905 it was Chelsea that were admitted into the English league for the first time as Aberdeen were admitted to the First division in Scotland at the same time. The irony is complete as neither Aberdeen nor Chelsea managed to win a major honour before the Second World War.


Manager; Dave Halliday
Captain; Jimmy Mitchell
League Position; Champions
Honours; Scottish League Division ‘A’ Winners
Top Scorer; Paddy Buckley (28)
Most appearances; Jackie hater, Archie Glen (42)
Highest Score; 6-0 v Stirling Albion Scottish Cup 1st round at Annfield 5th February 1955
Highest Attendance; 50,000 v Rangers at Ibrox 11th December 1954

Bobby Wishart | His team mates

The 1955 team prior to the trophy presentation


Fred Martin; Scotland and Aberdeen keeper who was a vital part of the strong Aberdeen defence. Martin was signed originally signed as a promising inside forward from Carnoustie Panmure in October 1946. It was during a stint with the National service that Fred was tried as a keeper. After returning to Pittodrie he continued in that role and he eventually made his debut against East Fife in April 1950. By the following season martin had made the keepers position his own and he went on to become another goalkeeping great in the long line of Pittodrie keepers. In 1952 he was capped by the Scottish league and he went on to become the first Scotland keeper to play in a World Cup in Switzerland in 1954. Martin retired from playing in 1960 after winning the championship and League Cup with Aberdeen.

Jimmy Mitchell; Captain of the side that won the championship in 1955, Mitchell was a club record signing in 1952 when Halliday paid Morton £10,000 for his services. Jimmy started out as an amateur with Queens Park before moving to Cappielow where he was honoured by the Scottish league. A full cap never materialised although he became an inspirational leader of the Aberdeen team. After leading the Dons to a League Cup success in 1955, a rare television interview with Mitchell revealed that he hoped that Aberdeen fans would join him in a real party when the players get home to Aberdeen. More than 15,000 took him up on his offer as the triumphant side rolled into Aberdeen station near midnight after defeating St Mirren earlier that day in the final.

Billy Smith; One of the unsung heroes of the 1950’s. Described by the legendary Hibernian forward Gordon Smith as his toughest opponent, Smith was never the most cultured of defenders but his commitment to the cause was crucial. Joined Aberdeen in 1951 and he made his debut against East Fife in January 1952 when he replaced the great Don Emery. Had the misfortune of breaking his leg in the Scottish Cup semi final replay against Clyde in 1955 and after leaving Aberdeen he played for Deveronvale.

Jackie Allister; Was brought to Pittodrie by Dave Halliday in 1952 after Allister had become unsettled at Chelsea. Aberdeen paid £7,500 for his services and Jackie was part of the successful and noted half back line of Allister, Young and Glen which formed the hub of that great side that took the championship. Allister was a no-nonsense half back who started out with Tranent Juniors before moving to Stamford Bridge in 1949. Originally an inside forward it was in his deeper role with the Dons that he found his best position. His tough approach complimented the talents of Young and Glen in the Aberdeen defence. Moved to Chesterfield in June 1958.

Alec Young; Was taken from the Glasgow shipyards and Blantyre Vics to start a senior career with Aberdeen in the summer of 1950. Seen by many as too small in stature to be a top class centre half, it was Halliday that liked what he saw before taking him to Pittodrie. Young was a huge success in the Junior ranks and many thought that he was too late developer. He was immediately thrust into the Aberdeen first team and on his debut he kept the legendary rangers forward line at bay in a League Cup tie at Ibrox as the Dons won 2-1. Young was famed for his searing sliding tackles which he developed into almost art form. Young became the ‘father figure’ of the side that won the title in 1955 and after several spells out with injury he left the club in 1958.

Archie Glen; Was taken to Pittodrie after a chance meeting with George Hamilton who spotted young Archie glen playing for Annbank in Ayrshire. Hamilton was on a visit back to his native Ayrshire when he saw Archie as a young 18-year –old and he immediately made Halliday aware of his talents. Signed by the Dons in July 1947 but his early career at Pittodrie was held up due to his spell in the National Service. He eventually made the left half berth his own in 1953 and he went on to become a true Aberdeen legend. Capped by Scotland in 1955, he took over from Jimmy Mitchell as captain and he served the Dons well until his retirement in 1960. He also played six times for the Scottish league and was also captain of the Scots league side. Played 269 games for the Dons in his 12 years with the club.

Allister, Young and Glen

Graham Leggat; The jewel in the Aberdeen crown that won the title in 1955. Signed from local side Banks O’Dee in 1953, young Leggat was called up to the first team at a young age. A right winger with all the attributes, Leggat was to play in all five forward positions in his career. After making the right wing position his own, it was Leggat’s sensational goal in the 1955 league Cup final that took the trophy to Pittodrie. Soon international honours followed as first an U-23 cap was followed by a full international appearance. Leggat was the star in the Aberdeen side back then and he eventually moved to Fulham for a paltry £16,000 in 1958 where he teamed up with Johnny Haynes in the English League.

Harry Yorston; The ‘Golden Boy’ of the side as he became known. Yorston was another local player who made it with the Dons after joining Aberdeen from St Clements in 1946. Brought up in Park Road, a stone’s throw from Pittodrie, Yorston made his debut in January 1947 during a spell at home on leave from national service. Established himself a s a tireless inside forward with a keen eye for goal, Yorston was another who went on to play for Scotland at full international level. Despite several attempts by clubs in England to take him south, Yorston stunned the club in 1957 when he announced his retirement to work as a fish market porter.

Paddy Buckley; One of the quickest players of his generation, Buckley was far removed from the typical burly centre forwards of the time. Born in Leith in January 1925, Buckley started with Boness before moving to St Johnstone in 1948. Aberdeen stepped in with a £7,500 transfer to take him to Pittodrie in April 1952. Again like Alec Young, while many senior clubs dithered over taking a chance, Dave Halliday knew that Buckley had the potential to score goals for his side. Top score in the championship season, Buckley was the spearhead of the lightning quick Aberdeen front line that terrorised Scottish defences back then. Finished his playing career in 1957 after a serious knee injury.

Bobby Wishart; Joined Aberdeen from Merchiston Thistle in 1952. During his national service he guested for Portadown in Ireland as a centre forward but on his return to Aberdeen he was used as an inside left. He was in direct competition for that role with big Joe O’Neil and Wishart was a regular in the side that took the title in 1955. A creative player he complimented the speed of Jackie Hather on the left wing and he went on to be capped at U-23 and league level for Scotland. By the end of 1960 he fell out of favour at Pittodrie and he joined Dundee where he went on to win a league winners medal in 1962.

Jackie Hather; Known as the ‘hare’ due to his lightning pace, Hather was a remarkable player in that he played his entire career with only one lung. The only Englishman in the 1955 side, Hather joined Aberdeen from Annfield Plain in 1948. It was the persuasive powers of Halliday that tempted Hather north from the coal mines of Durham, after several English clubs attempted to sign him. Hather went on to become a permanent feature on the wing for the Dons in an 8-year spell that brought league and cup success to Pittodrie. He was eventually given a free in 1960 when he joined Horden Colliery. His son John also went on to play for Aberdeen in 1970.

Bobby, in the middle of the picture, with his team mates in 2005