DFP and Facebook Header

Match Scoreboard/Match Information

Match Scoreboard - Goals Timeline

Match Page - Fixed Score Bar

Season so Far

Match - Overview - Current Standing

Match - Overview - Head To Head

Match - Overview - Recent Form

Match - Overview - Last Three Meetings

Key Players - Goal scorers - Team A

Key Players - Goal scorers - Team B

Key Players - Goalkeepers - Team A

Key Players - Goalkeepers - Team B

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - General

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Distribution

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Attack

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Defence

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Discipline

Match - Overview - Players - General

Match - Overview - Players - Distribution

Match - Overview - Players - Attack

Match - Overview - Players - Defence

Match - Overview - Players - Discipline

U20s | Partick Thistle v Aberdeen

February 11, 2016 8:19 am Author: Aberdeen FC
U20s | Partick Thistle v Aberdeen

Please see below confirmed details for the following SPFL Development League match:
MATCH: Partick Thistle vs. Aberdeen
COMPETITION: SPFL Development League
DATE: Tuesday 16th February 2016
VENUE: Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie
KICK-OFF: 2.00pm


Match Page - Formation

Match Page - Text Commentary



Line ups

U20s | Partick Thistle 1 Aberdeen 1

February 16, 2016 10:12 pm Author: Aberdeen FC
U20s | Partick Thistle 1 Aberdeen 1

Aberdeen U20s have been hit by some late goals this year but they scored one themselves this afternoon to earn a well-deserved draw against Partick Thistle in Airdrie. Throughout the 90 minutes the conditions were terrible – the worst of the season so far. A strong wind and heavy rain on a very cold day made it difficult for either side to produce any real quality. Paul Sheerin’s side fell behind after a controversial penalty with about 20 minutes to go. Scott McKenna, who had an excellent game, was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the area after a shot was fired in from the edge of the area. Docherty scored with a well taken spot kick. It always looked like one goal would separate the sides but credit to the young Dons for showing great spirit to fight back. With five minutes to go keeper Aaron Lennox, who again impressed, claimed a corner and quickly launched the ball long. It was very good awareness from the keeper and Bruce Anderson managed to latch onto the bouncing ball ahead of the defender. He then delivered a great cross for Kalvin Orsi who slammed the ball home. Aberdeen could have then won it in injury time but Dylan Thomas could only watch his shot from the edge of the box squeeze past the post.

REDTV | Development League matchday centre | click here

match report

The Dons lined up this afternoon with Lennox in goal, a back four of Harvie, McKenna, Rose and 15 year old Joe MacPherson lined up at right back. Norris and Thomas were again in central midfield with Robertson and Wright in the wide areas and Ross played in a central role behind Orsi. Both sides fielded young teams.

Partick Thistle have never had a 0-0 scoreline in a Development League game and Paul Sheerin has only had one whilst he has been in charge of  the young Dons but at times this afternoon it looked the most likely scoreline due to the conditions.

Both teams not surprisingly struggled early on with the weather and neither team were able to get a foothold in
the game. In fact Aberdeen struggled in the first forty five to get anything going in an attacking sense although they were playing into the wind.

On 10 minutes the first chance of the game saw Antonio German's header easily saved by Lennox. It was on target but he did not get enough on it. The young Dons first real attack came on 20 minutes when some great skill from Scott Wright down the right produced an opening but he just fails to pick out Ross inside the area with his cutback. A minute later Leyden beat the offside trap and puts over a very dangerous ball but McKenna makes a great clearance inside the six yard box.

On 25 minutes McKenna again had to make an important block which led to the game’s first corner.  Thistle took it short which allowed Mark Lamont to put in an angled drive that was flicked on by a close range glancing header from Edin Lynch but with Lennox beaten the ball rebounded off the post.

Two minutes later a good raking run down the left by Daniel Harvie. His dangerous cross went right across the six yard box but there was no one there in a white shirt. Just after the hour mark German's low shot was very well held by Lennox. It was very challenging conditions for goalkeepers. And just before the stroke of half time, the Dons only real shot at goal saw a half chance for Norris on the edge of the area but his effort caught the wind and went over.


Aberdeen looked a lot brighter at the start of the second half. On 52 minutes, Wright had a looped shot on target but it was too close to the keeper, then Robertson did some good work down the left to set up Orsi but he stabbed the ball just wide.

On 55 minutes a pre-planned double change. With one eye on Friday night Frank Ross and Scott Wright were replaced by Seb Ross and Bruce Anderson.

By now the game was extremely even and one goal was surely going to win it. On 67 minutes a chance for the home side, after a good move the ball fell to McLaughlin on the edge of the area but he pulled his shot just wide.

On 71 minutes the home side were awarded a controversial penalty. From a corner kick the Dons failed to clear their lines properly. The ball landed at the feet of Andy McCarthy on the edge of the area and he thundered in a shot which hit Scott McKenna. After loud shouts from the home players referee Callum Scott pointed to the spot.

The ball was hammered straight at Scott so there was little he could do to get out of the way. A little harsh. Dominic Docherty took the spot kick and placed in high into the net, just beyond the dive of Lennox. The keeper very nearly produced a very good save but it was a good penalty.

With 15 minutes to go Lennox did make a very good low save to keep the Dons in it. Half time substitute Kevin Nisbet produced a great run and shot but the Dons keeper beat it away. At the other end Orsi and Norris just fail to force an opening as the Dons went looking for a late equaliser.

With five minutes to go Partick had a corner. The ball was swung in and claimed by Lennox. The keepers handling of the wet ball was very sound. He was aware that the Dons had kept two players forward and quickly launched the ball down field. The Dons had a two on two but still had a lot to do. Bruce Anderson did brilliantly to get to the ball ahead of his man before putting over a perfect cross and Orsi fired the ball home past Marc Waters. The big striker certainly enjoyed his goal. He deserved it for his work rate throughout the game.

Both teams then pushed for a winner. In the 90th minute Aberdeen put pressure on the Partick defence who failed to clear. Anderson and Thomas on the edge of the area went for the ball but it was Thomas who got there first and his low shot went inches past the post.

Despite the weather an entertaining contest and a fair result in the end.


Aberdeen: Lennox, MacPherson, Harvie, Thomas, McKenna, Rose, Wright (Anderson 56), Robertson (Dangana 77), Orsi, F Ross (S Ross 56), Norris. Subs: Craddock (GK) Youngson, Campbell

Partick Thistle: Waters, McInally, Penrice, Lynch (E Docherty 90), Whiteside, Leyden Lamont, (J Stokes 70), McCarthy, German (Nisbet 45), D Docherty, McLaughlin. Subs: Cullen (GK), I Stokes

Goals: Docherty 70, Orsi 85

Bookings: Lynch 50, Leyden 73, Docherty 42


Match Page- Stats- Overview

Match Page- Stats- Attack

Match Page - Stats - Defence

Match Page- Stats- Discipline

Match Page- Stats- Set Piece

Match - Player Performance

News & Media