DFP Header

Match Scoreboard/Match Information

Match Scoreboard - Goals Timeline

Match Page - Fixed Score Bar

Season so Far

Match - Overview - Current Standing

Match - Overview - Head To Head

Match - Overview - Recent Form

Match - Overview - Last Three Meetings

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - General

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Distribution

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Attack

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Defence

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Discipline

Match - Overview - Players - General

Match - Overview - Players - Distribution

Match - Overview - Players - Attack

Match - Overview - Players - Defence

Match - Overview - Players - Discipline

Dundee Preview | Derek McInnes

August 17, 2017 3:35 pm Author: Aberdeen FC

Derek McInnes

RedTV | to watch the manager's conference in full please click here

“Being a home, we want to try and continue our winning run.

“We are a team who have shown over the past couple of years we are capable of going on winning runs. There is no better time to do that than at the start of the season.

“We have had two good wins home and away. The fact we are at home now we want to maximise that. Anytime you play Dundee they always have players who can hurt you on the day. Neil has recruited well and he is trying to bring a freshness to that team. I know Neil and Graham Gartland well. I am sure they will come up here with the confidence that they can get a result.

“Their results so far in the league have not been what they would have wanted, but it does not make them any less dangerous. They have players, some we have played against before as well as some new players, we know can cause us problems. We are at home and we want to try impose ourselves on the game and be strong as we can. We want to bring a performance that helps us win the game.

“Both physically and also mentally for the players not to have a midweek game has been good. They got Sunday and Monday off after doing a lot of travelling. There is a bit of freshness about the squad and we have had a couple of good sessions. We are looking forward to the game on Saturday. Two games before the international break we want to do as well as we can.

“I believe 15,000 to 16,000 of a crowd is anticipated. I think the supporters are encouraged by what we can do this season. We have made some good signings and I think there is plenty of encouragement for everyone that we can go and have a good season. I think the crowds have reflected that both home and away.

“It is too early to say if the squad is better than last season. I am happy with what we have managed to do. It was not so long ago that we were in a precarious position where we had to get players in. We had a shortage of time to do that for the European games and a lot of the players were at different stages (of their fitness). Now the players are all at a similar level and are ready to attack the season. I do feel the signings we have made can give us the confidence that we can have a better squad. We have always tried to improve the squad year on year but the time for really accessing that is at the end of season.

“There will be no players moving out. We may look at one or two loans with the younger players just before the window closes. We can get them out on a development loan or we can do it after the window. I am pleased with the with the way the squad is at the moment but we still have two games to go and things can change with injuries or circumstance. At the minute if the window was close now it would be fine because as I say I am pleased with the squad we have got.

“Team news, Adam Rooney has had a full weeks training ahead of this one so I ready to play. Everyone else is included in the squad.”


Match Page - Formation

Super Stevie steals the show : Live

Match Page - Text Commentary



Line ups

Super Stevie steals the show

August 19, 2017 9:03 pm Author: Aberdeen FC

Aberdeen v Dundee

Derek McInnes handed Stevie May his home debut after his bullish display in Dingwall last week. The manager made only one change to the side with Ryan Christie coming in for Greg Stewart. Once again, it was an exciting Dons' line-up.

As the teams walked out, the heavens opened with a heavy shower making conditions tough underfoot.
There were a couple of early chances for Aberdeen which had the Dark Blues on the back foot. In the first minute Kenny McLean swung the ball in from the left which was headed clear by Holt and Greg Tansey's direct free kick from 25 yards was eventually caught by Scott Bain.

Dundee had a great chance to opening to scoring just before the 10 minute mark when Vincent was played in after a poor back pass. Joe Lewis did brilliantly well, calmly standing up to the midfielder, staying big long enough and then getting his gloves behind the shot.

The visitors were made to regret missing that golden opportunity when Greg Tansey whipped in a corner a minute later. Like a flash of lightning Stevie May – with his back to goal – rose to the ball and powerfully headed in from six yards. It was a really clever header from Stevie who produced a great bit of movement to get away from his marker.

After an early scare, The Dons were up and running with the early game they so desperately wanted.

At that point the Red Army would have hoped the Dons would have gone on and dominated proceedings, but it certainly did not work out like that.

There was to be no quick second goal despite some pressure from Aberdeen. After 22 minutes some poor Dundee defending helped Kenny McLean get to the line. He cut it back for Christie who was waiting at the near post but he could not get anything on it. Five minutes later more hesitant defending let Aberdeen in but again they could not take advantage.

Dundee were coming more into the game midway through the first half and at the other end of the pitch the visitors passed off yet another chance when Haber's header crashed off the bar. Reynolds then managed to hook the ball to safety. Haber was actually a bit unlucky as it was a very good header.

There was a penalty shout after 28 minutes when Christie was hauled down whilst driving towards goal. You've seen them given, but on this occasion play continued.

Dundee were working very hard, closing Aberdeen down and not allowing The Dons' wide players to get into the game. A trio of corners allowed the Dens Park side to build momentum with Joe Lewis tested on all three occasions. Some good Aberdeen defending maintained the one goal lead.

The visitors continued to press high, closing down the ball quickly. That resulted in a number of free kicks which made the game very stop start. It was a frustrating period for Aberdeen. Dundee were finding some joy in and around goal, with the impressive Scott Allan pulling the strings in midfield.

After a quick break Stevie May almost grabbed his second after 37 minutes when he picked the ball up from a central position and let fly. His shot was hit with conviction but failed to trouble Scott Bain.

The final chance for Aberdeen in the first half came courtesy of Ryan Christie whose free kick was too close to the goalkeeper.

It had been an even opening half against a resilient Dundee side.

Half Time: Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee

After another spell of freak weather, the game restarted with a faster, slicker pitch.

Aberdeen were slow to get going after the break and allowed Dundee to take the initiative. The visitors were then right back in the game after 53 minutes when a loose square pass from Christie in the middle of the pitch allowed Roarie Deacon a chance to run at Considine. He created a yard of space for himself to fire the ball through the legs of Joe Lewis. It was sloppy from The Dons, who had failed to kick on after the opening goal.

Gary Mackay Steven came off for Greg Stewart almost straight after the equaliser.

Aberdeen were so nearly behind moments later when Deacon chipped a square ball for Scott Allan who was unmarked at the back post. Thankfully he pulled his shot wide when he should have scored. You could not have argued had Dundee gone ahead at that stage.

The Dons changed their shape after 66 minutes, with Derek McInnes throwing on an extra striker. Greg Tansey came off for Nicky Maynard. Very little was coming off for Aberdeen as they couldn't find a way through Dundee's defence and they were struggling to get a foothold in the midfield.

Slowly though they came back into the game. Stewart was drifting off his wing to try and make something happen. With quarter of an hour to go Maynard was unlucky not to grab his first goal in a red shirt when he was played in by Stewart after a fine run in behind the defence. It was a 50:50 between the striker and the goalkeeper with Bain managing to grab hold of the ball. Brave goalkeeping from Scott who took a sore on. The slick surface just took the ball away from the Aberdeen striker.

A minute later El Bakhtaoui had a shooting chance which went harmlessly wide. Then Haber down the Dundee right beat the offside trap. He had aches of room and time but his cross was too strong.  Both Haber and El Bakhtaoui went down injured after that move. As both players had to leave the field they were temporarily down to nine men.

With a two man advantage, Aberdeen pounced. After 80 minutes Shinnie and Christie tried to manufacture something on the edge of the box after Maynard could not connect with a header. Shinnie saw his shot well blocked but when the ball broke to Stevie May he lashed a first time thunderbolt from the edge of the area past Bain. What a hit.

Dundee only had nine men but they had opportunities to stop the game so they could then have got their two subs on.

It was so nearly game over two minutes later when Christie produced a lovely turn and crept into box but he slid just wide of the post. Ryan by his own admission did not have the greatest of game this afternoon but he never hid away. he kept looking to make things happen.

Adam Rooney made his return to the side with goal hero May making way. A standing ovation for the new number 83.

Dundee continued to make it nervous for the Dons winning corners late in the game, and putting over some dangerous crosses. A mixture of last ditch defending and route one clearances kept the score at 2-1.

On the break Greg Stewart did well to beat the last defender but Scott Bain produced a brilliant one handed save to keep out his former team mate. It did not matter though as Aberdeen saw out the four minutes of added time to record another victory. They can take confidence from winning a game that was not going their way for large spells.

Full Time: Aberdeen 2-1 Dundee


Match Page- Stats- Overview

Match Page- Stats- Attack

Match Page - Stats - Defence

Match Page- Stats- Discipline

Match Page- Stats- Set Piece

Match - Player Performance

News & Media

Official Club Sponsor

Exclusive Talent Partner