DFP and Facebook Header

Match Scoreboard/Match Information

Match Scoreboard - Goals Timeline

Match Page - Fixed Score Bar

Season so Far

Match - Overview - Current Standing

Match - Overview - Head To Head

Match - Overview - Recent Form

Match - Overview - Last Three Meetings

Key Players - Goal scorers - Team A

Key Players - Goal scorers - Team B

Key Players - Goalkeepers - Team A

Key Players - Goalkeepers - Team B

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - General

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Distribution

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Attack

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Defence

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far - Discipline

Match - Overview - Players - General

Match - Overview - Players - Distribution

Match - Overview - Players - Attack

Match - Overview - Players - Defence

Match - Overview - Players - Discipline

Aberdeen V Kilmarnock | Scottish Cup Preview

March 2, 2018 6:11 pm Author: Chris Anderson
Aberdeen V Kilmarnock | Scottish Cup Preview

We preview Aberdeen’s Scottish Cup Quarter-Final with Kilmarnock this Saturday.

Despite the wintry weather that’s hit the country this week, the match will take place on Saturday as scheduled and is eagerly anticipated, with a place at Hampden Park up for grabs for both sides.

The Dons league match at Motherwell on Wednesday was called off as the Central Belt felt the brunt of the adverse weather, but Kilmarnock’s match on Tuesday night against Hearts went ahead, with the Ayrshire men leaving Tynecastle with a point. Steve Clarke has led his team from the foot of the Scottish Premiership to the top-six in the space of a few months and go into the match with a renewed confidence after a string of excellent results.

Aberdeen have lost their last two matches, but Derek McInnes has a near-perfect record against Kilmarnock as Dons boss, with the only draw being in the league match in September. The Dons have also beaten Kilmarnock 3-1 in both matches while since Clarke has been in charge at Rugby Park.


“It’s great we’ve managed to get the game on. There’s been a huge effort from everybody with the ground staff and maintenance lads to get the stadium and pitch ready, so all systems go. Training hasn’t really been affected. The game being called off on Wednesday morning, we managed to get up before the motorway was closed and Wednesday was their day off by the time they got back and then back in Thursday and Friday to prepare for the game. In terms of affecting preparation it hasn’t really. If anything, it’s maybe been of a benefit the game never went on Wednesday night, so it was important the players got their training in and we look forward to the game.

“It’s an incentive (Hampden). When you go through the rounds in the cup you’ve got to look at the bigger picture and the end game for us is hopefully lifting the trophy, but there’s stages within that you’ve got to work towards. Trying to get to the Semi-Finals as we did last year on a couple of occasions and that’s the reward for the winning team and hopefully it’s us. We’re certainly looking forward to the game.”

To read more from Derek click here


“The next game is always the biggest game no matter what it is. At this stage of the season, the position that we’re in, there’s so many big games coming thick and fast. The Scottish Cup is a cup game so you’re either in or out and we need to make sure we’re right up for it, the performance is good and we’re in the hat for the next round.

“Kilmarnock have had a great season. The manager has come in and done a fantastic job. They can be so proud of what they’ve done, but we’ve been good ourselves in the games we’ve played against Kilmarnock, so we need to make sure that’s the same again. Like I said it’s a cup game and anything can happen on the day. It’s all about the result and trying to get through to the next round.

“It’s always a big thing for us to get the national stadium and give ourselves a chance to get to a final. We did it last year and it was good. We all enjoyed it and as a footballer it’s those games you really enjoy. It gets away from the league and it’s a bit different. It’s always a big occasion down at Hampden.”

To read more from Graeme click here


“My memories of winning the Scottish Cup are something that I cherish. Lifting a cup is the highlight of most players careers in Scotland. There are a few boys in the changing room who have won trophies and they know how great a feeling it is.

“It is the same for the supporters. Having seen the photos of the fans at Hampden last season and in our cup games over the years around the staff, you understand what cup football means to them as well. A cup run allows the players to give something back to the fans for all the support they give us.”

To read more from Stevie click here



Aberdeen have lifted the Scottish Cup seven times in their history, whereas Saturday’s counterparts have three wins, with their last victory coming in the 1997 competition courtesy of a 1-0 win against Falkirk at Ibrox. Killie have made the final eight times and Aberdeen have finished runners-up on nine occasions, including a first appearance in the showcase event in 17 years last season.

The two sides have met nine times in the Scottish Cup, with The Dons yet to taste defeat in any fixture. The first meeting took place in 1921 when a late winner from Billy Middleton sent The Dons through to the third round. It would be another 31 years before the teams would come up against each other in the competition. The second-round tie at Pittodrie was once again settled by a 2-1 victory for The Dons. The Quarter-Final match in 1959 saw The Dons win 3-1 in a run that saw them reach that season’s final, only to be beaten by St Mirren in May.

A replay was required in the 1969 Quarter-Final as Aberdeen travelled to Ayrshire four days after a 0-0 draw at Pittodrie. The Dons got the job done on the night and went back up the road with a 3-0 win and a place in the Semi-Final.

The most significant meeting between the teams by 1970 came in that campaign’s Semi-Final.  Derek “Cup-tie” McKay was on hand to see off Killie at Muirton Park and The Dons would go on to defeat Celtic in the final. It was the club’s first Scottish Cup win in 23 years and “Cup-tie” was a pivotal part of that success, scoring in every round that season, including a double from McKay.

The Dons would make a habit of beating Kilmarnock on the way to Scottish Cup success in the years to come. The 1982 Quarter-Final saw a 4-2 victory for Aberdeen as Gordon Strachan hit two penalties alongside goals from Mark McGhee and Neil Simpson to put Alex Ferguson’s team through. The Dons would go onto defeat Rangers 4-1 after extra time in the final, which paved the way for qualification to following season’s European Cup Winners Cup. The last Scottish Cup meeting between the sides took place in the 1984 third-round. A replay was required at Rugby Park and a 3-1 win was the first step to an unprecedented third Scottish Cup trophy in a row for the all-conquering Dons side of the decade.

If you can’t make it to the match on Saturday, join us on RedTV with special guest Joe Lewis from 2.45pm for live coverage including video on RedTV International. Reaction will be available post-match, highlights will be available from 4.45pm on Sunday and full replay from midday on Monday due to Scottish FA regulations.

Enjoy the match and Stand Free!


Match Page - Formation

Match Page - Text Commentary



Line ups

Aberdeen 1-1 Kilmarnock | Dons set for Rugby Park replay

March 3, 2018 5:47 pm Author: Aberdeen FC
Aberdeen 1-1 Kilmarnock | Dons set for Rugby Park replay


Despite taking the lead in the first half thanks to a Graeme Shinnie goal, The Dons were held to a 1-1 draw in the Scottish Cup Quarter-Final as Kris Boyd’s second half penalty cancelled out Shinnie’s opener and forced a replay between the sides. The replay will take place on Tuesday 13th March at Rugby Park.

Dons boss Derek McInnes made three changes to the side that were beaten last weekend by league leaders Celtic. Graeme Shinnie returned to the starting XI after completing his suspension along with Adam Rooney and Ryan Christie who missed out last week against his parent club. 

Andy Considine and Sam Cosgrove were both serving bans and unavailable with Gary Mackay-Steven and Chidi Nwakali dropping to the bench. 

Due to the adverse weather conditions Aberdeen’s midweek trip to Motherwell was postponed, however The Dons boss ensured that the weather had not affected his sides training schedule and preparations for the game. The visitors, Kilmarnock, did play midweek, leaving Tynecastle with a hard earned point and came into the game with renewed confidence following an excellent string of results under Steve Clarke. 

The visitors kicked things off attacking towards the 1,300 plus travelling support that had braved the weather and journeyed north. The first 5 minutes were fairly tentative with neither side being able to really keep a hold of the ball and launch an attack. Kilmarnock had a couple of early corners however they were comfortably dealt with by the hosts. 

The home side took the lead in the 8th minute through Graeme Shinnie. Playing at left back in for Considine The Dons captain played a nice one-two with Christie to get into a good position down the left. Shinnie fired a low cross/shot across the box which caught Killie keeper Jamie MacDonald in two minds and the ball went straight through him and crept in at the far post to give Aberdeen the lead.

The Dons looked to pressure MacDonald following his early mistake. A long range shot from McLean was followed in with intent by Rooney and May looking to pounce on any spillage from the ‘keeper, but MacDonald held on. 

An in-swinging corner from McGinn had MacDonald flapping again. But the ‘keeper got enough on his punch to clear from underneath his own cross bar and Killie countered through Eammon Brophy. Running in from the left, Brophy got to the byline and looked set to pull the trigger. Christie who had tracked him all the way raised an arm and made contact with the Killie striker putting him off balance he hit the floor. Brophy was adamant that it was a penalty but referee Steven McLean waved away his excessive appeals and booked him for his protests. 

The Dons looked a threat from set pieces. May won another corner down the right hand side. McGinn’s out-swinger was met by Arnason on the volley but he couldn’t direct his effort towards goal. Both sides looked to go forward when in possession of the ball often knocking the ball in behind bypassing the midfield.

Logan became the first Aberdeen player to go into the book with a foul on the half way line on Brophy. The resulting free kick was eventually cleared after Woodman got half a fist on the ball. The Dons countered through McGinn who was cynically brought down by Alan Power. The referee played advantage, before returning to show Power a yellow card, as May played a lovely ball wide to Christie. The winger fired a cross into Adam Rooney, his shot was well blocked by Rory McKenzie and the scoreline remained 1-0. 

Killie nearly scored twice in a minute before the interval. From a corner Kirk Broadfoot got up well and directed his header towards the top corner however Woodman saved acrobatically and parried the ball out. Kris Boyd then had a golden chance to level. The resulting corner was flicked on and fell to the Killie captain on the volley but Boyd blazed his effort well over from 8 yards out and The Dons went in at half time one goal to the good. 

Neither side made any changes and the game restarted as the light snow continued to fall. 

Killie made the better start and again won an early corner, Brophy’s shot taking a nick off a red shirt. Boyd met the corner, initially miscontrolling the delivery but he did enough to win another. Boyd again met McKenzie’s delivery but his header was weak and did little to trouble Woodman in goal. 

A clumsy challenge from Broadfoot on Shinnie earned the former Rangers man a yellow card and The Dons a free-kick in a good position. McGinn whipped the free kick in at pace and Arnason got in front of his man forcing a terrific one handed save from MacDonald in goal. 

As the game passed the hour mark the tie was still finely in the balance.  Both sides looked a threat from set pieces but lacked the quality with the final ball in open play to generate any clear cut chances. The visitors had a few long range efforts, none of which hit the target and troubled the keeper. 

In the 66th minute Kilmarnock were awarded a penalty. A lack of communication between Logan and Arnason on the right hand side allowed Jordan Jones to get in behind. Jones went down between The Dons defenders and although there appeared to be little contact as he entered the area the referee showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Boyd made no mistake in converting and levelled the cup-tie.

The visitors goal set the match alight and with 20 minutes to play the game began to open up with both sides going for the victory. 

Logan had a left footed shot deflected wide for a corner but MacDonald did well to come and gather. Kilmarnock went straight up the other end and Boyd had a half chance. The striker did well to swivel at the edge of the area and get a shot away but his effort was well wide. 

With just over 10 minutes to play GMS was brought on to replace Stevie May as The Dons went in search of the victory. Steve Clarke made a change too with Boyd off for Greg Kiltie. 

Rooney had a half chance to nick it with 6 minutes left to play. Logan nodded down to the striker in the box but Adam couldn’t hit the target with his volley. The striker went close again minutes later, this time with his head. He got on the end of McGinn’s cross but his header lacked the power and direction to trouble MacDonald. 

Nwakali replaced Christie in the final moments of the game but didn’t have an opportunity to make an impact. Two minutes of time were added on but The Dons couldn’t find a winner in the remaining stages.


Match Page- Stats- Overview

Match Page- Stats- Attack

Match Page - Stats - Defence

Match Page- Stats- Discipline

Match Page- Stats- Set Piece

Match - Player Performance

News & Media