As the Dons are not in action this weekend, and the fact there has been a lot of doom and gloom around the club recently, RedTV will try (I said try) cheer you up a bit by taking a trip down memory lane and looking back at one of Aberdeen's most famous wins over Rangers. The night when Ally MacLeod's Aberdeen beat Rangers 5-1 in a League Cup semi final.  

We also have exclusive footage from the 2-1 victory over Celtic in the final.

To see the footage on RedTV click here.  

The following interview with Jocky Scott, who scored a hat-trick in the semi final, appeared in RedMatchday.

1976 League Cup

One of the most celebrated cup wins in Aberdeen's history came in the 1976 League Cup after Aberdeen defeated Celtic 2-1 in a memorable Hampden final. While the much-maligned competition has changed in recent years and has no doubt diminished in stature, back in 76' the Aberdeen win was greeted with great enthusiasm in the north. What was all the more remarkable was the fact that Aberdeen had just escaped from relegation from the first season of the Premier League a few months previously. Jim Bonthrone had been replaced by an enthusiastic Ally MacLeod and in the summer of 1976 he set about strengthening his squad. In came Stuart Kennedy, Dom Sullivan and a returning Joe Harper from Falkirk, Clyde and Hibernian respectively. MacLeod had recognised the need to bring his side up to a position of relative strength and the new look Aberdeen came out of the traps quickly in season 1976.77, leading the Premier League in the early months, talk of a title success was perhaps premature but in the first trophy MacLeod could win, he certainly kept to his promise that he would take Aberdeen to a major trophy win in his first twelve months at Pittodrie.

While the win over Celtic in extra time was a fantastic achievement for MacLeod and his side, it was perhaps the Dons win over Rangers in the semi final that raised most eyebrows. Again the venue was 'neutral' Hampden Park and despite Aberdeen sitting at the top of the league, it was Rangers who were the bookies favourites to progress at Aberdeen's expense. In the sectional group that opened the competition the Aberdeen new boys settled in well and the Dons cruised through their group, which include MacLeod's old side Ayr United, Kilmarnock and Alex Ferguson's emerging St Mirren. Goal king Joe Harper scored in each of the Dons six group matches but it was in the quarter final against Stirling Albion that the Dons had the most bother. The tie went in to a third game at neutral Dens Park before goals from Jocky Scott and Joe Smith sent Aberdeen through to meet Rangers in the semi final. There was certainly a ring of confidence around Pittodrie as a 2-1 win over Celtic put Aberdeen clear at the top of the league before they travelled to Hampden for the Rangers clash.

Jocky Scott Jocky Scott emerged as the Aberdeen hero on the night as he perhaps played his finest hour for the club as Aberdeen hammered Rangers 5-1 in what was one of the Ibrox clubs worst defeats since the Dons trounced them 6-0 in a Scottish Cup semi final at the same venue in 1954. Back then it was big Joe O'Neil who was the Aberdeen hat trick hero. In 1976 it was former Dundee and Scotland international Jocky Scott who was the Rangers tormentor in chief. Aberdeen born Scott was a £25,000 buy from Dundee in 1975 and he was a regular under MacLeod as the Dons had a real cutting edge in forward areas. Aberdeen dominated this semi final from the kick off and they got off to the perfect start when Scott scored his first in two minutes. A great run by Dom Sullivan down the right set up Jocky to gleefully slam the ball past Rangers keeper Stewart Kennedy. Aberdeen continued to press and were rewarded in 14 minutes when Scott struck again. Arthur Graham cleverly slipped the ball through two Rangers defenders and gave Scott an easy chance to score the Dons second. Rangers keeper Kennedy was livid with his defenders but Rangers hit back a minute later to give them hope when Alex McDonald brought the Ibrox side back into the tie. Rangers then threw everything they had at Aberdeen to get back into the tie but the Dons defence was rarely troubled and Arthur Graham should have made it three when he led a quick break by the Dons. There was a blow for the Dons when Joe Smith was injured after a hefty challenge as Rangers efforts increased by any means possible. Smith had to be replaced by seasoned campaigner Eddie Thomson who was brought on to combat the physical approach from the Ibrox side. In 64 minutes Jocky Scott turned provider when he set up Joe Harper who lashed the ball past Kennedy to put Aberdeen 3-1 ahead. It was at that point that Aberdeen really turned on the style and set about embarrassing Rangers with some slick passing that almost cut through the Ibrox defence at will. Two minutes later Drew Jarvie got in on the act and he scored a sensational goal a half volley from inside the box that flew high past Rangers keeper Kennedy. Rangers were reeling and their night of misery was complete when man-of-the-match Scott scored his third and the Dons fifth in the 73rd minute. Job done, Aberdeen continued to dominate possession and long before referee Anderson brought an end to Rangers nightmare.

Ally MacLeod embraced coach George Murray at full time as they celebrated a great win over their old rivals. MacLeod said; "We proved to the West of Scotland just how good a team we are. I thought all of our goals were superb, particularly the last one as that came from the training ground. Our players responded to the challenge like I hoped they would. We knew that coming to Glasgow and winning was the only way we can gain credibility these days. I think we showed the country just exactly how good we are. The final can't come quick enough for us."

Jocky Scott Jocky Scott was ecstatic and was delighted to receive the plaudits after the game; "I am absolutely chuffed after that. However it was the whole team that made it all possible. I was in the right place at the right time and it all came off for me on the night. Our confidence was high going into the game although they were favourites and we knew if we could get ahead we would be difficult to beat. Rangers were not that bad on the night, it was just that we were superb. As an Aberdeen player for just over a year, I think that was the best we had played in that time. It all clicked for me against Rangers and we knew they would never give up the fight but to be honest the game was finished when I made it 3-1. You always had that feeling that they would never give up and they caused a fright when they got back into the game at 2-1 but we were confident that we could get back at them and we did that with some style." Rangers boss Jock Wallace was stunned at the power and pace of Aberdeen yet typically was reluctant to heap praise on his victors; "Aberdeen took their chances, it was as simple as that, we never looked like breaking them down and that was disappointing."

Jocky Scott went on to make 79 competitive appearances for the Dons scoring 22 goals in his two years wit his hometown club before he returned to Dundee in 1978. After a spell back at Dens he move d to the USA and played with Seattle before returning to Scotland and embark on a career in coaching. In May 1981 Aberdeen travelled south to Dens Park to play Dundee in Jocky's testimonial match. Jocky is currently coaching for Viborg in Denmark. Jocky had the chance to join Aberdeen as a youngster but went to Chelsea straight from school; "I left school when I was 15 and I spent a year at Chelsea before Tommy Docherty freed me. I returned to Aberdeen and after a couple of months Dundee offered me a contract, which was back in 1964. My father had a lot to do with my early career, having been a player with Aberdeen and Newcastle in the 1930's. I established myself with Dundee and was proud to chosen for the Scotland U-23 squad in 1969 then eventually the full international team two years later." Winning the League Cup was nothing new to Jocky as he was in the Dundee side that shocked Celtic in the 1973 Final; "That was the first trophy I was involved in winning, and it was my first final. Dundee made it to the final in 1968 but I was not in the pool for that game." Jocky has enjoyed a prolonged career in coaching ever since he retired from the game. In 1988 he returned to Pittodrie and took up a post as co-manager of Aberdeen alongside Alex Smith. Scott left Pittodrie in 1991 and took over as Dunfermline manager in his own right. He has also managed at Dundee and Hibernian in the Premier League and Jocky is currently back at Dens Park.

27th October 1976 Semi Final Aberdeen 5:1 Rangers at Hampden Park

ABERDEEN; Clark, Kennedy, Williamson, Smith, Garner, Miller, Sullivan, Scott, Harper, Jarvie, Graham. Sub; Thomson.

Rangers; Kennedy, Jardine, Miller, Greig, Jackson, Watson, McLean, McKean, Parlane, MacDonald, Henderson.

Attendance; 20,990

Aberdeen team pose with the League Cup trophy

Aberdeen team pose with the League Cup trophy

Back row (l to r): Joe Smith,Duncan Davidson, Stuart Kennedy, Doug Rougvie, Ally MacLean, Bobby Clark, Willie Gardner, Dom Sullivan, Chic McLelland, Neil Cooper
Front row (l to r): George Campbell, John McMaster, Ian Fleming, Willie Miller, Joe Harper, Drew Jarvie, Jim Shirra

Photos SNS Pix

Semi Final v Rangers 27th Oct 1976 5:1

Aberdeen goalkeeper Bobby Clark (left) comes out to challenge Martin Henderson

Rangers' Alex MacDonald (left) makes a two-footed tackle on Stewart Kennedy

Aberdeen's Willie Garner (2nd left) with Derek Parlane

Aberdeen goalkeeper Bobby Clark (right) makes a close-range save from Derek Parlane (centre)

The Final v Celtic 6th November 1976 2:1 aet

Celtic's Ronnie Glavin (left) is tackled by Willie Miller

Bobby Clark in action

Celtic's Kenny Dalglish (left) and Willie Miller challenge for the ball

Celtic's Danny McGrain (left) looks on as Jocky Scott fires in a shot.

Aberdeen's Stewart Kennedy (left) gets past Tommy Burns

Aberdeen's Arthur Graham (left) evades a challenge from Kenny Dalglish

Jarvie (2nd left) headers home for Aberdeen , past Celtic goalkeeper Latchford

Celtic's Johnny Doyle (left) holds on to the ball as Billy Williamson closes in

Aberdeen's Jocky Scott (right) waits for a high ball to descend

Davie Robb scores the winner

Robb scores the winner

Robb scores the winner